Lore Lair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reavers of Maleum (The Dagger of Abaddon)

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Reavers of Maleum (The Dagger of Abaddon) Empty Reavers of Maleum (The Dagger of Abaddon)

Post by Moonreaper666 16/6/2016, 03:10

A xenos warband, one of the vast many that swears fealty to Warmaster Abaddon they are veterans of the Long War, claiming countless Trillions of lives against the enemies of the Dark Gods

Founder/Leader: Daemon Prince Archon Nehril
Size: 29k Hybrid Astartes along with millions of Highly-trained soldiers
Specialty: Piracy, Ship-to-ship combat, Advance weapons

Origins:
The Reavers started out as an exiled group of Dark Eldar which began raiding Imperial and Exodite worlds as well as defeating and absorbing other pirate factions to survive as well as bolster their number. It is during this time that Nehril eliminated his competition and became the undisputed ruler of the warband

The warband gained its noteriety during the 2nd Black Crusade. Archon Nehril's small ragtag fleet wreck havoc with the Imperial Navy. Stories of mighty Battleships suddenly being pulled into realspace only to be disabled, boarded and captured, haunted the Empire of Man

Hearing of this news, Warmaster Abaddon convinced the reavers to serve as his vassals, gifting to them the Daemon World of Maleum as their new homeworld

Archon Nehril began his most horrific atrocity during the Age of Apostasy, culling dozens of Imperial Worlds, killing over 400 Trillion Imperial citizens within a decade. This resulted in him ascending to Daemon Prince status

Hybrid Astartes: Through the millenia of research of both the Reaver's Haemoneculli and Abaddon's Dark Techpriests, the Black Legion has found a way to use the most foul and corrupted of their geneseed.

Using Eldar-Human hybrids, Black Legion Apothecaries would imbue potential recruits with cybernetic implants as well as dark sorcery. The process, though laborous and slow, is successful.

Now the Reavers of Maleum are more powerful than before. Reports of the new 'Astartes' are appearing throughout areas under attack during the 13th Black Crusade

Current Events:
Natural rivals with the Red Corsairs, seeing them as upstart copycats, the Reavers of Maleum have raided every corner of the galaxy, many times competing with the Corsairs over the same territory. The Warband is incredibly diversed. Orks, Hrud, Tarellian and various Automatons make up part of their forces

The warband has an apparent nack of involving itself in the battles of others.

One such event was during 457.M40 in which the Reavers masquarade themselves as Dark Eldar Kabalites, raiding the world of Forrex Majoris. With the Angels of Absolution fighting an Ork Fleet, the Astartes could not prevent millions from being killed or taken away by the 'kabalites'

Framed by the Reavers of Maleum, the Dark Eldar were forced to wage a decade long war agaisnt the Unforgiven. By the time the truth have been revealed, hundreds of Astartes along with tens of thousands of Dark Eldar have died

Last edited by Moonreaper666 on 16/6/2016, 05:06; edited 1 time in total

Moonreaper666
Technographer
Technographer

Back to top Go down

Reavers of Maleum (The Dagger of Abaddon) Empty Re: Reavers of Maleum (The Dagger of Abaddon)

Post by Lucarus 16/6/2016, 03:53

Interesting...
Lucarus
Lucarus
Technographer
Technographer

Character sheet
Name: Lucarus Tenecius
Class: Technoarcheologist/Heretek
Affiliation: Adeptus Mechanicus

Back to top Go down

Reavers of Maleum (The Dagger of Abaddon) Empty Re: Reavers of Maleum (The Dagger of Abaddon)

Post by Moonreaper666 16/6/2016, 05:12

Lucarus wrote:Interesting...

The influences for this is two fold:

Eldar, Orks and other aliens do fall to Chaos

A Dark Eldar was pivotal to the transformation of the Sons of Horus to the Black Legion (One of the Two Black Legion books tells of Abaddon's ascension to Warmaster)

Moonreaper666
Technographer
Technographer

Back to top Go down

Post by Farseer Amathar 16/6/2016, 06:38

First off, my standard disclaimer: I am always for new fan fiction, regardless of quality.  When it comes to offering help, I like to ask questions, but I do so with the intent to provoke thought, not to discourage.  Sometimes I'm unimaginative and can't think of better synonyms so I use phrases such as "bothers me" or "I dislike."  Once again, please don't let this discourage you, it is just me being unimaginative.  In order to not discourage people, I always try to offer a few suggestions to answer each of my questions/ comments, but do not feel limited to my suggestions, as they are not the only answers.  That said, you can choose to ignore any or all of my questions and comments, because you are the author, not me.  If you like something that I say I don't like, then keep it.  (Just say: To the warp with what (I) say, (I'm) just some pointy-eared space hippie who was exposed to the warp for too long.  What do (I) know?

I got a bone to pick with you!  No, I jest, though your warband does rub me the wrong way.  See, the thing is, I've spent a lot of time looking into Chaos Eldar because I'm a Farseer of Altansar, you know, that craftworld that spent 10,000 years trapped in the warp?  So it's my goal to write a background on this ill-defined craftworld and as of consequence, I had to learn how Chaos and Eldar mix.  

It is possible but highly unlikely. The heart of the problem is, what does Chaos really have to offer the Eldar?  We have our Bloody-Handed God, what do we need with Khorne?  We have our Haemonculai who can increase our toughness or even let those Dark Eldar escape death while the Exodites and us Craftworlders have our infinity circuit, so what could Nurgle offer?  Especially as our Haemonculai can cure death and the Tress of Isha utalized on Craftworlds can bring Eldar back from the brink of death.  Since Isha is captured by Nurgle and secrets out cures to his plagues, who do you think picks them up first?  Either Ulthwe` or Altansar (in my opinion).  Farseers are already among the strongest of psykers in the galaxy, capable of traversing the skein of fate and modifying it in ways that most Chaos Sorcerers can only dream does Tzeentch really have anything to offer us?  We already know what She Who Thirsts has in store for us, and all of our societies are structured around avoiding her at all costs... with the exception of Eldar Corsairs, who really just focus on forgetting He Who Thirsts exists.  Not to mention our senses are sharper, our ability to perceive and understand quicker, it isn't hard for most Eldar (with the exception of Dark Eldar, whose Psychic Senses have atrophied since the Fall of our Empire) to be able to see the corruption of Chaos taking place in one-another.  It is likely that any Eldar tainted by Chaos, so long as they are among other Eldar, are likely to be culled for their taint.  Especially if there is a Harlequin anywhere near that tainted Eldar.

The other big issue here is, there is really only one Chaos God with claim to every Eldar's Soul, and that Chaos God (as of current lore which seems to have completely abandoned any Chaos Eldar from most likely 2nd Edition?) seems to have no interest in giving them any power that does not torture them, unless of course it is as trophies kept on the Eldar Crone Worlds or other infected territory claimed by She Who Thirsts.  Check out the novel of Path of the Renegade if you really want some Chaos Eldar (kept in the shattered Commorragh Realm of Shaa-dom, these chaos-infected maidens and Incubai were kept mostly as trophies and guards to a silent realm worshiping Slaanesh).  Percieved by the Dark Eldar with utter fright and disgust, who attempted to steal from Shaa-dom.  There are a few other interesting Chaos Eldar, as perceived throughout the other two novels as well, but they are always found out and destroyed (mostly be Asdrubael Vect).

As for the hybrid Eldar... I've got very mixed feelings on them.  Eldar are arrogant, do we really think human technology could give us a leg up?  No, we have unlocked the secrets of death itself, we once ressurected as we pleased and ruled this galaxy.  There is nothing to take from this contemptuous upstart race, that we could not do ourselves.  At the same time, back in like 1st Edition, there was a Hybrid Eldar Chief Librarian of the Ultramarines.  I think they swept him under the rug and he's stuck playing poker with the Squats and Doomrider, now, though.

So... aside from the tainted Eldar thing, I actually like the idea of a Xenos Chaos Warband utalized by Abbadon the Destroyer.  Though gifting them a whole world seems a bit much.  I'd lessen it down to a Great Crusade-era Massive Warship they can use as a mobile base.  I mean the Primarchs got gifted planets by the Chaos Gods, now any random champion is getting the same rewards as Primarchs?
Farseer Amathar
Farseer Amathar
Skitarii
Skitarii

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonreaper666 16/6/2016, 06:58

The Reavers started out as Dark Eldar exiled from the Craftworld of S&M. Forced to convert to Chaos to survive

Then they grow their numbers by raiding other factions. The slaves would eventually be corrupted by Chaos

My believe is that Chaos is a Spartan Meritocracy. The Dark Gods don't care what YOU are but what you can OFFER them

Despite being more advance than humans, Eldar for the most part don't use cybernetics or genetic manipulation

Also:
-Possessed Incubi> Possessed Space Marine > Incubi > Chaos Astartes

-Obliterator Haemoneculli would be a terrifying foe for ANYONE to fight!

-Kabalite Warriors in Power Armor would wreck Astartes anytime!

-Chaos Dark Eldar can now use Psyker Powers and Wraithbone!

Only Grey Knights aren't corrupted by Chaos or defect to it willingly.

Moonreaper666
Technographer
Technographer

Back to top Go down

Post by Farseer Amathar 16/6/2016, 07:21

Part of my issue is that, to put it more planly: Slaanesh owns your soul.  The entirery of Dark Eldar society is about making somebody else suffer in your stead, so that you may continue to live while Slaanesh steals your essence.  It is possible to have your soul re-aligned and guarded by a waystone (soulstone before it is occupied) but this can only be done on craftworlds.  If you become a champion, you are limited to Slaanesh, because Slaanesh has first right-of-claim on Every Eldar's soul.  Though I must admit (as I'm here to help with lore) that the Dark Eldar Novels clearly showed Dark Eldar (are Mandrakes still considered Dark Eldar?  Eh, close enough) possessed by a daemon of each type of Chaos, except that of Slaanesh.  After all, Slaanesh is an ever-present threat in every Eldar's Lives.  I hated this, as it clearly contradicts with everything else on Chaos and Eldar since they "wrote out" the "Slaaneshi Eldar Chaos Champions" that were only referenced once, briefly, in an extremely old Chaos Space Marine Chodex.

Also, I've seen it argued (and perscribe to that school of thought myself) that Dark Eldar are Chaos Eldar.  That it's hard to go more Chaos than Dark Eldar.  There have also been instances of exhiled Dark Eldar as well.  Most of these take home in distant parts of Commorragh (which is not one-place, but a nexus of realms throughout the Webway) or flee to real-space to regain their strength.  Some even leave Commorragh to become corsairs themselves.  There are other factions of Eldar and being exiled from one more-often-than-not means taking refuge with another faction as there is safety in numbers.

That is somewhat true.  They also issue punishments, turning failed champions into Chaos Spawn.  But the other thing to remember is that the Chaos gods are intelligent, but not really sentient.  They are a collection of malevolent desires and impulses made manifest into a spirit entity capible of wielding great power, thus are mostly driven by the emotions that makes them.  They reward those who further those goals in a meritocracy-style and punish those who fail them, but are still mostly driven by their base emotions.  In the case of Slaanesh, he/she/it is a covetous entity, prone to pride and bouts of being... well... showy.  This includes entire Eldar worlds left untouched, just silent and dead save the occasional spectral replays of the birth of Slaanesh and the death of these worlds, all kept as silent trophies by Slaanesh.  I doubt the entity, driven as it is, would want to let a single one of these Eldar go, preferring to keep them as some of the best toys.

Not true!  Grey Knights are corruptable.  Look at the second Bloodtide incident where they had to slaughter Sisters of Battle in order to not be corrupted.  Or maybe just Matt Ward working out some of his issues.  Glad to see him go.  On a side note, man that story is much more stuffed into the fridge in the 5th Edition Grey Knights Codex it is referenced from, where it specifically says "anointed in their blood"

Finally... maybe by fact of reality, but like I said, the Eldar are an arrogant species.  Just because something actually is greater than them (in a one-on-one) doesn't mean they'd believe or admit it.  Save accidentally being infected, there are few who are willing to turn to Chaos.  Now I wouldn't mind if you were lead by and even had several Dark Eldar in your cabal.  Maybe one as a possessed (think daemonhost from the Inquisition), but I'd never advance your Archon to Daemon Prince, preferring to keep him tainted, but thinking that he is the one playing Chaos, not the other way around.  Thematically, I'd also keep the struggle for his soul as part of the Chaos affecting the world around him, as Slaanesh pushes him to either die or succumb willingly, while other Chaos Gods make plays to finally claim an Eldar Soul of their own.

P.S. I must correct myself, and apologize for my mistake. As I pointed out in the first novel, you got to see Slaaneshi possessed Eldar Maidens and possibly possessed Incubai, maybe just daemons looking like Incubai (I don't remember it being too clear what they were). So in the Dark Eldar Path Novels, you get to see possessed Dark Eldar of every major Chaos God. Though I still dislike it, it was well executed. I would also like to reaffirm my original statement from my disclaimer. I like the idea you've presented here, even if I'm being a stubborn pointy-eared space-hippie about it, and you can always choose to ignore any or all of my complaints in favor of the story you want to write. I won't look down on you for it, even if I dislike the work itself.
Farseer Amathar
Farseer Amathar
Skitarii
Skitarii

Back to top Go down

Post by Ristiald 16/6/2016, 11:10

Moonreaper666 wrote:Despite being more advance than humans, Eldar for the most part don't use cybernetics or genetic manipulation
Not true. Especially with Dark Eldars. They use any means necessary to gain the upper hand, especially genetic manipulation. Point and case being Haemonculi, Wracks, Grotesques, or Talos Pain Engines for example.

Moonreaper666 wrote:-Possessed Incubi> Possessed Space Marine > Incubi > Chaos Astartes
That's debatable. Incubi are fearsome threat, but finding a possessed one to check the truth of that is more than challenging, for the same reason Amathar already stated- Slaaneth has a first pick of Eldar souls, and it usually ends up swallowing them.

Moonreaper666 wrote:-Obliterator Haemoneculli would be a terrifying foe for ANYONE to fight!
Haemonculli managed to fight off the Glass Plague. Why would they willingly submit to some other sickness that not only dumbs them down and prevents from doing their chosen work, but also leaves them under the command of some primal urges that are on that point overwhelming?

Moonreaper666 wrote:-Kabalite Warriors in Power Armor would wreck Astartes anytime!
Debatable. Kabalite warriors use their light armours because they don't restrict their movement. I get, that technically in TT there's no dodge save and armour is all anyone cares about, but lorewise Dark Eldars are mainly based on their superior agility, and Imperial Power Armour is a bit constricting. Incubi, that you mentioned earlier, already use power armours, so it's obviously not an unknown technology in Eldar society, thus meaning Kabalites not being equipped in those are a matter of choice, not lack of it.

Moonreaper666 wrote:-Chaos Dark Eldar can now use Psyker Powers and Wraithbone!
And are instantly nommed by Slaanesh...
Ok, I'm exaggerating. It won't be instant. It will be soon enough though, so it's not reliably usable over long periods of time.
Yet again "Dark Eldar" series must be mentioned to explain the reasoning.

Moonreaper666 wrote:Only Grey Knights aren't corrupted by Chaos or defect to it willingly.
That is true, but bear in mind that Matt Ward has left GW, so this might change soon enough.

As a general thing, I understand why you want to combine one of the highest technology and skills with one of the greatest powers of the universe, but there's a lot of problems to work out with this idea.
First and foremost: Dark Eldars don't offer anything unless they get something in return. Unfortunately, chaos is proven to have nothing they want. Moreso, chaos is one thing they activey fight against! Suprisingly, with all their debauchery, their betrayals, their tortures, etc. Dark Eldars, as well as any other Eldars are strictly hierarchical and structured, held together by the ruling caste. There's literally no place for chaos in this society, and neither is in their way of thinking. It's simply judged to be too dangerous.
Second thing: Dark Eldars have nothing that Chaos wants. Ok, not really true, they have souls. But the Dark Eldars value their souls so greatly they are willing to kill and torture anyone around just to keep theirs. So they're not selling those. Everything else is pretty much irrelevant though.

So here's what I'm asking you to explain: why would Dark Eldars, or Corsairs, make deals with Chaos? Why would Chaos make deals with Dark Eldars, or Corsairs? What either of them gets out of this deal?
Ristiald
Ristiald
Skitarii
Skitarii

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonreaper666 16/6/2016, 17:11

A trade. In exchange for not consuming them, the Reavers offer other Eldar sacrifices. Maybe a few Astartes as well

Maybe have a very powerful Daemon Prince as a patron of them in the Warp? (Just like the Blood Gorgons)

Success despite everything going against you. Wouldn't the Chaos Gods be interested in that?

The strange thing about the Dark Eldar is that they have no qualms fighting alongside the Forces of Chaos, especially those of Slaanesh

In fact, they convince an entire regiment to defect to Chaos

Moonreaper666
Technographer
Technographer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ristiald 16/6/2016, 17:54

I can buy a hierarchical relation between some Kabal and Reavers. This has happened more than once. Only question is when will DEs turn on Reavers? Wink
On the other hand, Daemonprince patron is quite close to warp problem. How will this patron ensure DEs are not nommed by Slaa-neth? And again what he will get in return for such protection (and protection against a God must be really exhausting/costly for anyone)?
On yet other hand, Gods of Chaos might be interested in success against all odds, but who's to say Slaa-neth won't just consume their souls and replace them with daemons of her own to perform even better jobs?

So why's that DEs are sometimes fighting alongside Slaanesh forces? Could it be because they have a common goals? Like slave raids, or torments? Like torments of chaos taint on Imperial regiments?

With all due respect Moonreaper, I think you're assuming way easier case of paranoia than you should when dealing with Dark Eldars. Smile
They are born and bred in the society where all you can achieve is measured in something between your own skills, and the amount of bodies of those higher than you that you left behind. Every time you gain anything in such world, someone else is after it to pry it from your cold, dead fingers. Those benath you try to get higher by your corpse, those above you will sacrifice you without even blinking if anyone better shows up. And you will do the same.
Dark Eldars society is a world where you don't trust even your closest family, and everything is either an asset to be used, or a danger to be dealt with.

So here's the deal.
You have a warband.
This warband consists of many that have common goal.
This goals are i.e.: slaves for DEs, power for Black Legion, souls for Nehril, war for Orks, gods only know what in it for hybrids, Hruds, Tarelians, and Automatons.
What binds them together? How do they make it work for such periods of time?
Ristiald
Ristiald
Skitarii
Skitarii

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonreaper666 16/6/2016, 18:25

The Reavers have an hierarchy system just like the Blood Pact in the Sabbat Worlds Crusade

Nehril is top dog. He is basically a Chaos Eldar version of Vect

Bellow him is some kind of Council, similar to the Word Bearers

Then the Commanders and then the Lieutenants

Daemon Prince Archon Nehril uses Sorcery to bind many of the grunts, recruits and slaves just in case they rebel. The better equipment they get serves as a motivation to continually work under the warband

To be promoted is seen as a huge deal as it gives many benefits. For many in the Lost and Damned its a possibility to be stronger and lead more men that they could possibly achieve in their dreams!

The Reavers have their own unique technology, blending Eldar and Daemon tech to create weapons that put the Craftworlds to shame! Also, Wraithbone Power Armor!

The Reavers have a powerful and diverse force capable of beating the Imperium at its own terms (just like the Blood Pact) Not many, especially outside the Traitor Legions, could claim that. Fresh recruits are easy to find.

They have exterminated ENTIRE CHAPTERS of Loyalist Marines, a few times without heavy losses. They attack undermanned Chapters while they are fighting somebody else

It offers advancement, prestige and power but the responsibilities and risks are much higher. Their name/trademark offers great protection from other Chaos Forces, due to their reputation and vassalage to Abaddon.

Just like the homeworld of the Iron Warriors, Maleum has several 'hives' in which the various sub-factions congregate.

Nehril has been tutored by the Warmaster himself how to run his diverse warband

The reason they are called the Dagger of Abaddon is that they also specialized in Assassination, eliminating many of the Warmaster's enemies. The Chaos version of the Officario Assaninatorum

They also provide Abaddon with stolen geneseed as well as captured Loyalists to brainwash! A way to explain why the Black Legion are almost a Million Marines strong

Moonreaper666
Technographer
Technographer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ristiald 16/6/2016, 18:55

This is awesome. Smile
Although bears more questions.

How did they managed to become what you call "chaos Eldars" without being devoured in general?

You explained how Nehril became Daemonprince, but why did he even tried to become one? Psychic arts are strictly forbidden to DEs for their own safety. Why did he broke that one particular law that was working for him, and survived long enough without being devoured by Slaa-neth, to attain daemonhood?

Why Abaddon even bothered to tutor someone if ready leaders are at his whim?
Ristiald
Ristiald
Skitarii
Skitarii

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonreaper666 16/6/2016, 19:02

Sorcery, the Reavers were exiled from Commoragh, they pretty much had to use whatever means to survive

Power? Nothing like the first Dark Eldar to become Daemon Prince to be a unique achievement. Its easy for humans and Astartes, much harder for an Eldar. Also, maybe a way to plot revenge against all Eldar-kind!

It amuses him, the fact that Nehril reminds the Warmaster of himself in his early days. Less for pragmatic reasons and more personal.

Just like the book Talon of Horus, trying to make the Black Legion and Abaddon less One-Dimensional

Moonreaper666
Technographer
Technographer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ristiald 16/6/2016, 19:46

All is fine, but I can't seem to find any Eldar Daemon Prince refference for this one to not be the first...
Ristiald
Ristiald
Skitarii
Skitarii

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucarus 16/6/2016, 20:46

Hm...
It would be unprecedented... but hardly impossible. In theory.
One must always be careful with something like this, especially if your going for lore friendly.

I like this, It's a bit refreshing to see someone break the meta.
Lucarus
Lucarus
Technographer
Technographer

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Ristiald 16/6/2016, 20:59

Yeah, bar this Daemon prince, it's all awesome. Uncommon, fresh, within the boundaries of lore (however hazy they are Razz ).
Moonreaper fixes this one issue, writes down all those things we talked about, and it's really ready to go and make up stories with this faction. Very Happy
Ristiald
Ristiald
Skitarii
Skitarii

Back to top Go down

Post by Farseer Amathar 16/6/2016, 21:55

I disagree. I see a few more problems but it will take me a minute to actually type them all out.
Farseer Amathar
Farseer Amathar
Skitarii
Skitarii

Back to top Go down

Post by Farseer Amathar 16/6/2016, 23:21

Moonreaper666 wrote:The Reavers have an hierarchy system just like the Blood Pact in the Sabbat Worlds Crusade

Nehril is top dog. He is basically a Chaos Eldar version of Vect
I'm sorry, but Vect would eat him for breakfast, Daemon Prince or-not.  Asdrubael Vect has been ruler of Commorragh pretty much since the Horus Heresy and got his start as a slave.  I wouldn't be surprised if Nehril has some serious source of hatred for Vect.  If Nehril was around during the Great Crusade, and he's an Archon that automatically makes him a descendant of Eldar Nobility (as in pre-fall).  Sometime after the Horus Heresy, Asdrubael Vect orchestrated an Astartes Invasion of Commorragh in order to eliminate all of his Nobleman rivals and insert himself as head of Commorragh, ending the age of rule by noble houses and instilling an age of rule by the Kabals, turning Commorragh into the Meritocracy that it is, now.  I'd also like to point out that there are Dark Eldar who leave Commorragh and don't have to resort to the most extreme answer (Chaos) in order to survive.  If your Archon was chased out by Vect's Kabal of the Black Heart (the largest and most powerful Kabal in Commorragh), than there might be a better excuse as to why you were so desperate.

Moonreaper666 wrote:Daemon Prince Archon Nehril uses Sorcery to bind many of the grunts, recruits and slaves just in case they rebel. The better equipment they get serves as a motivation to continually work under the warband

To be promoted is seen as a huge deal as it gives many benefits. For many in the Lost and Damned its a possibility to be stronger and lead more men that they could possibly achieve in their dreams!

The Reavers have their own unique technology, blending Eldar and Daemon tech to create weapons that put the Craftworlds to shame! Also, Wraithbone Power Armor!

The Reavers have a powerful and diverse force capable of beating the Imperium at its own terms (just like the Blood Pact) Not many, especially outside the Traitor Legions, could claim that. Fresh recruits are easy to find.

I don't mean to be offensive, but you don't know much about Dark Eldar, do you?  Dark Eldar do not craft with wraithbone despite popular opinion that states otherwise.  Wraithbone is a psychically reactive and conductive material that is summoned from the warp by specialized psykers called bonesingers that are native (and probably now exclusive) to the Craftworld Eldar.  Any wraithbone that appears among Dark Eldar or Exodites or Corsairs or even Harlequins are traded to them by the Craftworlds or were in those locations before the fall of the Eldar Empire.  In the case of Dark Eldar, occasionally it is looted or stolen from Craftworlders.  Because of it's rarity in Dark Eldar Society, they do not craft with it, preferring more mundane (though sometimes still quite exotic) crafting materials in order to make their buildings, armor and weapons.  This includes Haemonulai-forged weapons of the most esoteric, odd and deadly variety, making Dark Eldar Technology better than Craftworld technology already, though Craftworlders have managed to preserve the bulk of the technology left over from the Fall of the Eldar Empire.  Haemonculai are already so advaned, one Haemonculus turned himself into a beam of pure light just so he could travel the galaxy and brag to the lesser races about how much smarter he is than the lesser races.  If your force has superior technology than you are upsetting the balance of the setting by giving Chaos (which tends to reproduce its successes) access to literally the best technology in the game, by taking the already best technology (found in limited quantities because of limited numbers of Eldar) and making it even better, then giving it to a force with massive numbers.  You did state they can beat the Imperium at it's own terms, and we know those own terms always include holding the line with near-infinite numbers of Guardsmen.  While the ideas themselves are cool (except we Craftworlders already have Wraithbone-Power-Armor.  We just call it Heavy Aspect Armor), I cannot get behind this because it breaks the balance.

Moonreaper666 wrote:They have exterminated ENTIRE CHAPTERS of Loyalist Marines, a few times without heavy losses. They attack undermanned Chapters while they are fighting somebody else
No problem here... just glad somebody's killing entire chapters instead of another Avatar of Khaine to prove how awesome they are.  Though I always believe you should pick on C'Tan shards in one-on-one to prove how awesome you are, in part because Necron Players can always hide behind "Well that's because it wasn't an ascended C'Tan Shard..."

Moonreaper666 wrote:It offers advancement, prestige and power but the responsibilities and risks are much higher. Their name/trademark offers great protection from other Chaos Forces, due to their reputation and vassalage to Abaddon.

Just like the homeworld of the Iron Warriors, Maleum has several 'hives' in which the various sub-factions congregate.

Nehril has been tutored by the Warmaster himself how to run his diverse warband

The reason they are called the Dagger of Abaddon is that they also specialized in Assassination, eliminating many of the Warmaster's enemies. The Chaos version of the Officario Assaninatorum

They also provide Abaddon with stolen geneseed as well as captured Loyalists to brainwash! A way to explain why the Black Legion are almost a Million Marines strong

Okay this is my other major issue.  You don't really capture the... true arrogance of the dwellers of crystal spires and togas.  Were you around, during the Horus Heresy?  Even if you weren't, the events of the Horus Heresy aren't unknown to the Eldar (of all types).  Many of us look down on the Emperor and his clone-sons and the laughably tragic events that unfolded.  Yet your Archon would chose to debase himself in front of a Captain to a General to the Ruler that we often make fun of.  And by debase, I mean either bow before or admit inferiority to.  That he would be inferior and that he needs to learn from Chaos... HE!  A Dark Eldar!  A descendant of royalty!  Those who once held the power of this entire galaxy in their hands!  In front of the captain of a general who lost his war!  Even at his lowest, he is still far beyond anything Abbadon could hope for!  Now go and lead another failed crusade against the corpse-god who abandoned you, Abbadon, for the favor of those elemental forces who are only using you to ruin Empires - as they did our own.  You fool. (Abbadon, not you Moonreaper.)

This in turn, brings up another issue.  Dark Eldar and religion.  Are you familiar with the Iconoclast's Mound in Commorragh?  Unless you've read the Dark Eldar series, I doubt you are, so I'm going to quote from the book, just in case.  It does a good job of summing up the Dark Eldar view of gods and worship.

Path of the Archon wrote:...There were untold thousands of broken sculptures, pictures and objects in the mound, of all shapes and sizes, from hand-sized statuettes to over-sized idols with hints of a few truly titanic-sized pieces deeper inside.  Nearly all of it was either made of gold or covered in it, the acres of peeling gold leaf seeming to shimmer with an inner light all of their own.
There were empty sockets showing where gems had been inlaid in some pieces, evidence that scavengers had been hard at work.  Even priceless stones from the outside world were mere baubles in Commorragh, where only psychically imbued spirit-stones held the value of true treasures...
(in response to 'where are we') 'I recognize it.  It's called the Iconoclast's mound... Raiding parties coming in through Port Carmine used to dump religious artifacts they'd taken - objects of faith, relics, icons - off the high roadway when they re-entered the city.  It started as a joke, so I hear, but over time it became something of a tradition.'
... (a Harlequin speaks up)
'That isn't really why it's called Iconoclast's Mound, you know.' ... 'You see the origins of Iconoclast's mound go way, way back - all the way back to before The Fall.  When the people became gods themselves they had no further use for graven images and imaginary friends.  They threw them in the rubbish: Asuryan, Lileath, Isha, Kurnous, Khaine and all the rest...'
'Later, when they stole similar artifacts from other races, they did the same thing.  They threw such plunder down among their own broken gods to show that there was no higher power, no savior, no immortal plan.  Everything was damned for all eternity.  So they wanted to believe, because it made their own damnation easier to bear - and do you want to know the even greater irony?  The bits and pieces of the Eldar Gods are still down there, broken and forgotten at the bottom of the pile, buried under a spoil heap being made ever higher by hatred and hubris.  Now how's that for a metaphor?'

This is partly why Chaos has nothing to offer the Dark Eldar, because the Dark Eldar, in some fashion still believe themselves to be above that.  Gods in their own right.  In part because denying that power makes it easier to deny the truth of their own mortality.
Farseer Amathar
Farseer Amathar
Skitarii
Skitarii

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonreaper666 16/6/2016, 23:30

I though Vect didn't became ruler of Commorragh until M.36? (Stated somewhere in Lexicanum)

So the Kabals did not exist during the 3rd Black Crusade

Since they are now Chaos Eldar, they have no reason NOT to use psyker powers! (Since you can use psyker powers to ward of unwanted Daemons)

The Warp would energize the Chaos Dark Eldar, regaining their psychic potential and the ability to craft Wraithbone.

Nehril wasn't part of the royalty, maybe a Trueborn.

He became Archon by killing the current leaders and anybody that threathened his rule.

Archon is just a title similar to Chaos Lord

Moonreaper666
Technographer
Technographer

Back to top Go down

Post by Farseer Amathar 16/6/2016, 23:47

Moonreaper666 wrote:I though Vect didn't became ruler of Commorragh until M.36? (Stated somewhere in Lexicanum)

So the Kabals did not exist during the 3rd Black Crusade
Sources vary.  Vect claims to remember The Fall, and most modern DE Codecies place the date much closer to the Great Crusade and Horus Heresy than older editions.  I've seen many things change and mutate in the years of my fandom of 40k.  The Rise of Vect is just one among them (and one of those that got better).

Moonreaper666 wrote:Since they are now Chaos Eldar, they have no reason NOT to use psyker powers! (Since you can use psyker powers to ward of unwanted Daemons)

The Warp would energize the Chaos Dark Eldar, regaining their psychic potential and the ability to craft Wraithbone.
Except that over time the Dark Eldar's Psychic Abilities have atrophied.  They're barely better than Human Psykers at this point.  And the tools (the great curved horns required in the making) and the methods of producing Wraithbone aren't passed down at all in Dark Eldar society.  They may know about how it's done, but they don't actually know how to do it.  So what, Tzeentch suddenly forgot his rivalry with Slaanesh (though not his main rivalry all Chaos fights other Chaos) and just decided to teach Nehril?  Not to mention, the balance and emotion of the Bonesinger is what helps shape and mold the Wraithbone into it's purpose.  Chaos... tends to have emotional issues.

Moonreaper666 wrote:Nehril wasn't part of the royalty, maybe a Trueborn.

He became Archon by killing the current leaders and anybody that threathened his rule.

Archon is just a title similar to Chaos Lord

Kinda?  In the same way that leader of any group is a title for leader of any other group, but the connotation of Archon carries so much more.  See, the Dark Eldar are still the descendents of those who could afford to and did attend the various hidden pleasure-cults in the Webway.  Though many Archons of old can trace their lineage to nobility before The Fall, the Dark Eldar as a whole still view themselves as the true heirs to the Eldar Empire in part because they tend to be of 'more noble' blood than the more-common citizens and religious fanatics that fled the Eldar Homeworlds to become Craftworlders (citizens) and Exodites (religious puritans).

And you didn't even address your issues with technology.  Look man, I hate to go here (because it's kind of cruel and because the irony of me saying it is... well, the irony everybody will see soon enough) but I think you're drifting into Mary Sue territory here, man.  Just throwing together things that sound awesome, going for the rule of awesome, but not doing enough to try and balance it back into the established setting.  If you are going to make something to unique, you have to craft the extraordinary circumstances for it to happen better.  If you are going to make something to powerful, you have to limit it.  It's why there's only ever one Deathstar and Star Wars only does 'bigger Deathstars' not 'mass produced.'  Potentially plot-breaking power has to be limited.
Farseer Amathar
Farseer Amathar
Skitarii
Skitarii

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucarus 16/6/2016, 23:58

Lexicanum wrote:Asdrubael Vect is the leader of the Kabal of the Black Heart, the most powerful Dark Eldar Kabal in existence, thus he is therefore de-facto ruler of the city of Commorragh and the rest of the Dark Eldar race as a whole.

Vect claims to have witnessed the Fall of the Eldar personally; if this is true, he is quite possibly one of the oldest living (mortal) beings in the Galaxy at well over 10,000 years of age. As a consequence of this, surviving for that length of time as the ruler of Commorragh would also make him one of the deadliest individuals in the galaxy. One of his ways of ensuring his security is the Geldling, a mysterious doppelgänger which he uses from time to time as his substitute

Here is says he was ruling for 10,000 years.
Lucarus
Lucarus
Technographer
Technographer

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Ristiald 17/6/2016, 00:06

Lucarus wrote:
Lexicanum wrote:Asdrubael Vect is the leader of the Kabal of the Black Heart, the most powerful Dark Eldar Kabal in existence, thus he is therefore de-facto ruler of the city of Commorragh and the rest of the Dark Eldar race as a whole.

Vect claims to have witnessed the Fall of the Eldar personally; if this is true, he is quite possibly one of the oldest living (mortal) beings in the Galaxy at well over 10,000 years of age. As a consequence of this, surviving for that length of time as the ruler of Commorragh would also make him one of the deadliest individuals in the galaxy. One of his ways of ensuring his security is the Geldling, a mysterious doppelgänger which he uses from time to time as his substitute

Here is says he was ruling for 10,000 years.

Lucan, I'm disapointed in you.
The same article you're citing also states, that:
Lexicanum wrote:Vect was born a lowly slave in Commorragh. Carving a bloody path through the city using a combination of deception and his own wits, Vect climbed the ladder of Commorragh and founded the Kabal of the Black Heart. By the time the arrogant nobility of Commorragh led by Xelian, Kraillach, and Yllithian acknowledged that the low-born Vect could pose a legitimate threat it was too late and Vect had forcibly united the disparate sub-realms of the Dark City into his fold.[2a] Vect then captured the Salamanders Space Marine Strike Cruiser Forgehammer, which provoked an Imperial invasion of Commorragh itself. In the ensuing battle, the Lords of Commorragh were killed by the vengeful Space Marine forces and Vect emerged as the undisputed ruler of the Dark City.
Which puts his coup during the existence of Imperium of Man.
Also, since Salamanders are mentioned, quick look in their history links us to Cammorragh Raid in M35
Lexicanum wrote:The Commorragh Raid occurred in M35 and was one of the few known Imperial incursions into the Dark Eldar city of Commorragh, located deep in the Webway. Unknown to either side, the entire series of events was manipulated by the Dark Eldar Archon of the Kabal of the Black Heart Asdrubael Vect in his rise to power as Supreme Overlord of Commorragh. It was one of the most tumultuous events in the Dark City's history.

I might not be perfect, but if you're correct someone, please make sure you have the correct facts yourself.
Ristiald
Ristiald
Skitarii
Skitarii

Back to top Go down

Post by Farseer Amathar 17/6/2016, 00:09

Like I said, sources for the exact date of the Commorragh Raid vary. Though I do not have a Dark Eldar Codex on hand to double-check right now, I remember it placing the date before that, because when this happened it previously became a debate for a friend and myself. The more recent codecies put it sooner, but with the presence of Salamanders and other Space Marines (I think it was the Imperial Fists who came to the rescue), it was definitely sometime after the Horus Heresy.
Farseer Amathar
Farseer Amathar
Skitarii
Skitarii

Back to top Go down

Post by Ristiald 17/6/2016, 00:19

Lexicanum (that I remind you is for official lore only, thus making it reliable only for the latest editions) places it at M35, and lists Salamanders, Howling Griffons, and Silver Skulls as Imperial forces.
Salamanders are First Founding chapter, thus it's impossible to tell by that account wether the attack was before or after the Horus Heresy, even if it wasn't stated as M35.
Silvers Skulls have unknown date of founding, but it must have been no sooner than second.
Howling Griffons were founded in M33, so the raid must have happened no sooner than that anyway.

At least that's the most official version on the net.
Ristiald
Ristiald
Skitarii
Skitarii

Back to top Go down

Post by Farseer Amathar 17/6/2016, 00:23

Yeah, but there are plenty of plot holes of time events. I learned that again recently, when I was compiling Tau lore and started to notice discrepancies in dates for events. We still have no idea when Commander Brightsword massacred the Imperial Guard (that famous city-fight image with a Guardsman running a Tau through in the front), because every faction involved has different dates for it in their books. This is probably due to different people writing different codecies. It can be written off as the Imperial Records aren't very well archived.

I've also noticed a few things that are out of date on Lexianum. I use it as official, but I also hold what I've read in codecies as trumping everything else. Probably my own bias as a tabletop player.
Farseer Amathar
Farseer Amathar
Skitarii
Skitarii

Back to top Go down

Post by Ristiald 17/6/2016, 00:28

What you have said is both true, and I don't expect Lexicanum crew to update everything the moment codices hit the shelves, but then again, as you mentioned, we don't have DE codex at hand to say for sure, so we operate on the best data we have. Wink

Sorry if I came out a bit dickish... I realised that might have been the case now that I have re-read my previous posts...
Ristiald
Ristiald
Skitarii
Skitarii

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum