Lore Lair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General games

5 posters

Lore Lair :: Fan section :: RPG :: Bar

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

General games Empty General games

Post by Risthalion 23/5/2016, 18:02

Anything game related.
Risthalion
Risthalion
Archmagos
Archmagos

Character sheet
Name: Risthalion
Class: Techie
Affiliation: Adeptus Mechanicus

https://lorelair.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

General games Empty Re: General games

Post by Ristiald 25/5/2016, 17:17

Civ VI incoming. Smile

Ristiald
Ristiald
Skitarii
Skitarii

Back to top Go down

Post by Muffin Heretic 25/5/2016, 18:05

Think it's gonna be good?
Imo, Beyond earth was not as good as the one before it.

Think the decline in quality will stack?
Muffin Heretic
Muffin Heretic
Technographer
Technographer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ristiald 25/5/2016, 19:02

Quill, that was actually playtesting the game, sais that there's really no decline to speak of, and the so called "decline" was the effect of super close zoom.
I haven't played it myself, given there's 5 months before the release, so I can't really say anything for myself.
I'll just wait and hope for the best, remembering that Civ games were all good up to this point in time.
Ristiald
Ristiald
Skitarii
Skitarii

Back to top Go down

Post by Muffin Heretic 25/5/2016, 19:29

I found the beyond earth much less pleasing to the eye with the design beeing harder to get into, it seemed to have less micromanagement too.
The Design overall was good of course but the way everything looked made it kind of harder to get right into...

The GUI was much easier to get into though.
Maybe I didn't play it enough though, only about 12 hours of it while I got 72 hours on CIV V.
Muffin Heretic
Muffin Heretic
Technographer
Technographer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ristiald 25/5/2016, 19:37

Well, 12 hours or 72 hours on civilisation game is low on any standards Very Happy
Hell, I usually use more on any one of my Dwarf Fortress plays, and it's just basebuilding there. Razz
Sorry Muffin, yeah, you probably simply never got used to the design. Smile
Ristiald
Ristiald
Skitarii
Skitarii

Back to top Go down

Post by Muffin Heretic 25/5/2016, 22:59

probably... I would play it more but I'm really more into RTS... not to mention that I barely find the time to play lately.
Muffin Heretic
Muffin Heretic
Technographer
Technographer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ristiald 25/5/2016, 23:25

Can't help you with that. ;p
Ristiald
Ristiald
Skitarii
Skitarii

Back to top Go down

Post by Muffin Heretic 26/5/2016, 06:08

if you feel like gaming, we could always do that though.
You'd just need to call me up on Steam when I'm on. I'd like to.
Muffin Heretic
Muffin Heretic
Technographer
Technographer

Back to top Go down

Post by Slig 20/6/2016, 01:29

So since a couple of you are exclusively on this forum, I thought I'd post here too. I'm doing an XCOM 2 playthrough. My soldiers will be you guys.

If you have details on how you want to look in the game, go ahead and give me an outline. Razz
Slig
Slig
Technographer
Technographer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ristiald 20/6/2016, 10:44

Awesome idea. Very Happy
I'm playing mostly snipers lately, so a marksman would be nice, but really anything will do. Smile
Some nice blue color pattern and a plain fully enclosing helmet please. Wink

And a pic if you use me there, obviously. Very Happy
Ristiald
Ristiald
Skitarii
Skitarii

Back to top Go down

Post by Ristiald 20/6/2016, 13:07

Dad of War. :p
Ristiald
Ristiald
Skitarii
Skitarii

Back to top Go down

Post by Slig 20/6/2016, 23:04

Well I'll post the videos here. I got part one done the other day, so here:

Feedback is appreciated. Razz
Slig
Slig
Technographer
Technographer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ristiald 21/6/2016, 00:17

Awfull lot of filler sounds ("aaa", "yyy", "emm", "yes, so", etc.). You need to work on your flow.
Try to pass some emotions through your voice that aren't contempt for things you don't like. Sorry, but apart from those things you dislike, you come out really, really flat.
I think the character pool is those guys that you'll find in the first possible circumstance, not just thrown is somewhere randomly and you might never see them untill they happen to randomly pop out. Although I haven't played the game, so it's just a guess of what would be logical.
Ristiald
Ristiald
Skitarii
Skitarii

Back to top Go down

Post by Slig 21/6/2016, 00:45

Ristiald wrote:Awfull lot of filler sounds ("aaa", "yyy", "emm", "yes, so", etc.). You need to work on your flow.
Try to pass some emotions through your voice that aren't contempt for things you don't like. Sorry, but apart from those things you dislike, you come out really, really flat.
I think the character pool is those guys that you'll find in the first possible circumstance, not just thrown is somewhere randomly and you might never see them untill they happen to randomly pop out. Although I haven't played the game, so it's just a guess of what would be logical.

Yeah I'm aware of the abundance of filler. Not much I can actively do to improve that though. Not that I can think of. It's something that'll either improve as I get used doing this stuff, or not.

And no. I've messed about with it a lot. You can fill your character pool and not get anyone in the first missions at all. They always eventually appear in your game, it is down to luck. Most of them usually end up as possible recruits, which you pay money for. In order to get people into the game as early as possible, it's better I don't use that and just edit the random soldiers when I am able to.

Last edited by Slig on 21/6/2016, 05:05; edited 1 time in total
Slig
Slig
Technographer
Technographer

Back to top Go down

Post by Farseer Amathar 21/6/2016, 00:52

Okay, give me a little while and I'll check out the video and give you a better review. But, I'd still like to help.
To Ris' first point the only real thing you can do is focus on keeping quiet instead. It may seem counter-intuitive, but the first step to unlearning that habit is to... well, unlearn it. Then you'll find other stuff to say during the silence.
Farseer Amathar
Farseer Amathar
Skitarii
Skitarii

Back to top Go down

Post by Ristiald 21/6/2016, 11:30

Well, if it's bugged, it's bugged.

As to fillers- yeah, what Amathar said.
Fillers are pretty much the moment when you think about what you want to say. There are really just three ways around it. You eiter know what you want to say, you say anything that's not a filler, or you say nothing at all. You can unlearn using fillers also by three things: getting comfortable with silence, getting comortable with saying irrelevant stuff, and getting comfortable with saying "I don't know what I wanted to say"... there might be other ways, but I can't come up with any at this moment. Smile
Ristiald
Ristiald
Skitarii
Skitarii

Back to top Go down

Post by Slig 21/6/2016, 15:46

Ristiald wrote:
As to fillers- yeah, what Amathar said.
Fillers are pretty much the moment when you think about what you want to say. There are really just three ways around it. You eiter know what you want to say, you say anything that's not a filler, or you say nothing at all. You can unlearn using fillers also by three things: getting comfortable with silence, getting comortable with saying irrelevant stuff, and getting comfortable with saying "I don't know what I wanted to say"... there might be other ways, but I can't come up with any at this moment. Smile

Thing is, I'm pretty sure in normal conversation I don't use em much at all. I think the reason it came up so much was because I was because I was conscious of silence. Like when playing a game it's very easy to just go into gamer mode and go totally silent. At least later episodes won't be boring tutorials so I can probably just communicate what I am thinking and what my move will be. Maybe there'll be less of it as a result.
Slig
Slig
Technographer
Technographer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ristiald 21/6/2016, 16:04

Yeah. Very Happy
Good job for the first time anyway. Smile
Ristiald
Ristiald
Skitarii
Skitarii

Back to top Go down

Post by Slig 21/6/2016, 18:40

Ristiald wrote:Yeah. Very Happy
Good job for the first time anyway. Smile

Thanks. Smile
Slig
Slig
Technographer
Technographer

Back to top Go down

Post by Farseer Amathar 21/6/2016, 19:57

It's also a common practice people do when they engage in public speaking.  They are conscious of the silence when everybody is looking at them and want to fill the gaps, but it really doesn't help.  I also see little kids do it (for some reason they tend to find me intimidating, despite me wearing a Hawaiian t-shirt and trying to be pleasant).  It's a natural human reaction to fill the silence, however, it still doesn't look (or sound?) good (in general, I've yet to view your video to give you an accurate review.  Looking forward to it, I loved XCOM Enemy Within).  The advice I gave you from above is the general advice given to public-speakers to get over that habit.  Despite the fact that you want to fill the silence, you need to fight that urge down.  Once you get over it (about 3-4 weeks on average to break a habit) it'll become easier to start focusing on the next thing you want to say/ can say to fill the void.  While I've no experience on the Mic, or at filming 'let's plays' I imagine the practice is mostly the same.  I'd also see about playing with friends just to get the feel of constantly talking through a game or looking for the funniest things to say.  I don't know if that will help, but I feel it's the best advice I could give.
Farseer Amathar
Farseer Amathar
Skitarii
Skitarii

Back to top Go down

Post by Slig 21/6/2016, 23:26

Farseer Amathar wrote:The advice I gave you from above is the general advice given to public-speakers to get over that habit.  Despite the fact that you want to fill the silence, you need to fight that urge down.  Once you get over it (about 3-4 weeks on average to break a habit) it'll become easier to start focusing on the next thing you want to say/ can say to fill the void.  While I've no experience on the Mic, or at filming 'let's plays' I imagine the practice is mostly the same.  I'd also see about playing with friends just to get the feel of constantly talking through a game or looking for the funniest things to say.  I don't know if that will help, but I feel it's the best advice I could give.

Yeah it feels very similar to public speaking. Which, surprise surprise, is something I am not great at. I'm by no means the worst but it isn't a strength of mine. I despise attention. XD

I'm sure the advice you two have given will help. I'll go into episode 2 with a different mind set. I won't go into details but let's just say the first one took me a while to get going, so filler sounds were the least of my concerns then. Razz

As for doing things with other people...I really don't want to. Yeah if I recorded with a friend dialogue would be much more natural and the video would be smoother, but that's neither the sort of video I want or what I set out to do with this whole thing. Plus I'd rather be 100% responsible for things. Good or bad. Smile
Slig
Slig
Technographer
Technographer

Back to top Go down

Post by Farseer Amathar 22/6/2016, 03:23

Oh! I meant as practice. If you need help getting into 'persona' (and don't be fooled, most of the famous lets-players tend to over-react or develop a persona for their videos that is different from who they are in real life - I think it helps shy people) or just working on your dialog, practice with a friend while playing video games. Then play a different or new video game by yourself and record it, using some of the jokes you tried out on a friend.
Farseer Amathar
Farseer Amathar
Skitarii
Skitarii

Back to top Go down

Post by Ristiald 24/6/2016, 12:14

Now this is interesting..
Ristiald
Ristiald
Skitarii
Skitarii